Help for BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  June 2015

BIBFRAME June 2015

Re: The BIBFRAME Item Proposal: What we learned by mapping it to Schema.org

"J. McRee Elrod" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Jun 2015 20:22:58 -0700

Stephen said:

>there are lots of resources which contain more than one work, more than one
>expression, etc.

Yes, of which kits are a prime example.  Kits were fairly easy in
AACR2/MARC, but more difficult to do now with RDA.  I wonder if
Bibframe could restore that ease, even without RDA revision?

Perhaps Bibframers should take a look at UKMARC's 248 constituent
part, to see if any of that utility could be introduced to Bibframe?
It worked wonderfully for kits and other compilations, much less
complex than linked analytics.

British librarians really dropped the ball in not requiring that 248
be added to MARC21.  Germans were more forceful in getting what they
needed.

For a time SLC produced UKMARC for some British libraries, and really
liked 248.  (Most British libraries have now adoptee MARC21.)

Another feature of UKMARC was punctuation being omitted, and added by
the system, bassed on subfield codes.  Has Bibframe considered such a
measure?

We've had lots of varied experience since Panizzi, which I hope is not
being ignored.