DATETIME June 2015

Re: EDFT in ISO

John Hostage <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Jun 2015 21:00:32 +0000

Those two-month periods are still designated by using months, which are already covered by ISO 8601.  Quarters, quadrimesters, and semestres are different because those terms are used as chronological designations by publishers.  The latter two terms are used particularly in Romance language countries.

Someone else suggested that we don't need separate codes for seasons in the Northern and Southern Hemisphere.  The use case in the library world is for prediction systems for periodicals.  For a quarterly publication in the Northern Hemisphere, the pattern within a calendar year is winter, spring, summer, fall/autumn.  In the Southern Hemisphere it's summer, autumn, winter, spring.  If we want to predict the issues of a quarterly, we need to know which pattern it is.  (Of course, it's always a problem for how publishers handle the season that straddles the years.)

In fact, it might make more sense for the additional codes to be in this order:
25 = autumn - Southern Hemisphere (probably nobody down there says fall)
26 = winter - SH
27 = spring - SH
28 = summer - SH

In all these cases, the point is not to scientifically designate a precise astronomical or other kind of season.  The point is to concisely designate whatever someone designates as summer, etc., in particular context, whether that be astronomical, meteorological, academic, or whatever.
John Hostage
Senior Continuing Resources Cataloger
Langdell Hall 194
Harvard Law School Library
Cambridge, MA 02138
+(1)(617) 495-3974 (voice)
+(1)(617) 496-4409 (fax)
ISNI 0000 0000 4028 0917

From: Discussion of the Developing Date/Time Standards [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Andy Mabbett [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2015 05:58
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: EDFT in ISO

On 11 June 2015 at 21:25, Denenberg, Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> ·         ‘unknown’ and ‘open’ : the suggestion is to replace these with
> single characters, and the suggested characters are ‘*’ and ‘&’  (asterisk
> and ampersand).

Ampersand means "and": I would find its use to convey some other
meaning confusing.

> ·         31-34 for Q1 - Q4 ( 4 periods of 3 months each)
>
> ·         41-43 for Quadrimester (3 periods of 4 months each)
>
> ·         51-52 for Semestral (2 periods of 6 months each)

Suggest adding:

   61-66 (6 periods of two months each, starting January)

   71-76 (6 periods of two months each, starting February)

(I have in my possession a set of periodicals dated in a sequence
including "Oct-Nov 1973"; "Dec1973-Jan-1974", etc.)

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing