Help for BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME Archives

BIBFRAME@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

BIBFRAME Home

BIBFRAME  August 2015

BIBFRAME August 2015

Re: Proposal for treatment of series in BIBFRAME

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 10 Aug 2015 16:27:22 -0700

On 8/10/15 12:54 PM, Kevin M Randall wrote:
> I'm quite baffled by the statement that RDA is not an identifier-based cataloging code.  RDA has "identifier" as the very first option for recording all relationships!

In RDA description identifiers are things that come with the resource.
"Take information on identifiers for the person from any source." "Take
identifiers for the manifestation from any source." These are elements
of description that happen to be called "identifiers" but they aren't
what I am talking about. They're defined as alphanumeric strings (e.g.
any string) that are taken from the piece, recorded as part of the
description, and generally are assigned outside of the library workflow
(e.g. ISSNs ISBNs). This is an example of an identifier used to record a
relationship:

For Example:
Library and Archives Canada control
number: 0062A7592E

There is no guidance on what is an actionable identifier, no
relationship between the identifiers and the things they identify, no
relationship between the identifier and information about the thing
identified. Just saying "Use an identifier if there is one" is really
useless without some sense of what you are identifying and how that fits
into your model. I would call RDA's approach a nod to identifiers while
still maintaining a text-based approach. It's like someone thought "Oh,
we should be including identifiers as an option." And aside from those
few sentences, the full remainder of RDA is about how to create text
strings.

Maybe I made a mistake in not qualifying that for identifiers to be
usable to establish relationships in a computer environment, they have
to also follow the rules for machine-actionable identifiers, which the
above is not. I'll say here now that when I speak of identifiers in the
context of RDF, those identifiers follow the RDF standard and are
machine-actionable in a web environment and using software that is RDF-
and http://-identifier aware. The above identifier is a tiny bit better
than the textual name of the organization, but there's really nothing
you can do with it. This shows me that the developers of RDA did not
understand what "identifier" means in the IT sense. In any case, what we
have here is two different ducks: they both quack like a duck, but only
one is a fully usable duck. The other one could be anything from a duck
to a dog toy to a distraction in a bath tub.

OK, as you can tell I'm at the end of my tether. I just despair that
we'll never bring library data in to the 20th century much less the
21st. oooooof.

kc

--
Karen Coyle