]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ARSCLIST Home

ARSCLIST  September 2015

ARSCLIST September 2015

King Records Cincinnati Building in Danger

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Sep 2015 22:31:44 -0400

text/plain

ARSC-Listers,

I'm not so sure how proper it is to email all of you with this special
interest, but we're running out of time. The developer that owns the King
Records building at 1540 Brewster Avenue in Cincinnati has applied for a
permit to demolish it. Below I have provided some of the press releases
that have been issued by the Cincinnati Music Heritage Foundation and the
Bootsy Collins Foundation to provide additional details.

If you want to help, please write an email to the Mayor of Cincinnati and
the Cincinnati Council Members listed below. Many of them are on board with
the idea of saving the King Building, but I think letters received from
people outside of Cincinnati can provide a lot of ammunition to prevent
this landmark from being destroyed. It is a crucial place in the history of
sound recording, and I'm sure all of you have heard sounds that were made
in this building.

Thanks in advance for helping out,

David N. Lewis
Hamilton,OH

*#SaveKingOnBrewster #CivilRightsLandmark #SayItLoud*

Let’s not ignore the fact that the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame dedicated the
King Records Building (currently threatened with demolition) with a
historic landmark in 2008.

When the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President Terry Stewart was asked why
the King Brewster buildings should be saved, he provided the following
statement:

*“Between 1943 and 1971 the address of 1540 Brewster Avenue in Cincinnati
was home to some of the most vibrant and eclectic music making in
America. There was never a more important piece of real estate musically or
culturally in the history of popular music.  King brought together a
diverse range of American voices that reflect Cincinnati’s unique
geographical position as a crossroads of American culture: rhythm and
blues, country, bluegrass, rockabilly, pop and blues records all poured out
of King’s studios.  King’s musical diversity was also reflected in its
business practices – it was a fully ethnically and racially integrated
operation.  King was also unique because it was a self-contained record
label.  Every facet of record production happened at 1540 BrewsterAvenue,
from recording to pressing to packaging to shipping.  The Rock and Roll
Hall of Fame and Museum is proud to recognize the importance of King
Records by dedicating a historical marker and developing educational
materials to tell King’s story to students in Ohio and around the world.”*

And at the evening’s Emery Theater celebration as a part of the CEAs Rock
Hall President Stewart said:

            *“It bears repeating and underscoring… There’s not a more
important piece of real estate in musical history than the building over
there on Brewster.  If you folks don’t remember and preserve it, shame on
you.  Remember it!  It is so important to American culture, world culture…
what happened in that building.”*

*PLEASE ACT NOW!* The owner of the King Records Building, where the studio
space still stands, has asked for a permit to demolish the building.

The owner has also lawyered up to fight our application to make the
building safe and protected through a historic designation.  We jointly
filed with The Bootsy Collins Foundation.  At the pre-hearing the Evanston
Community Council President and King Studios Chair spoke with us.

We have tried to talk with the owner.  We have tried since before we got
the historic marker up with The Rock Hall, the City, and the King/ music
community.  With many of you.  We have tried through realtors to get an
asking price.  Something is up and we don't trust it.

But let's nevermind and get this done.  #SaveKingOnBrewster

*PUBLIC HEARING  - HISTORIC  -  CONSERVATION - BOARD*
Deciding fate of King Records Building - demolished vs. historic and
protected

*Monday, 7/27/15, 3pm *
*II Centennial Plaza *
*Central behind City Hall*

Historic Herzog pre-meeting
811 Race Street, 1:30pm

This is it. If approved by Historic Conservation Board, then it goes before
The Planning Commission, and if approved to the Mayor for Council agenda.

If you can't make send your testimony to The Urban Conservator Larry Harris
[log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]  Go to
Cincinnati USA Music Heritage Foundation Facebook.  We try to get word out
as we can.  We are all sweat equity and we run this non-profit as a band.
Join us in this tune so it can be epic.  Or we can suck.

Cover letter to materials we submitted, including books, articles, the
historic designation report and guidelines:

Mr. Larry Harris
Urban Conservator

Historic Conservation Office
Two Centennial Plaza
805 Central Ave., Suite 700
Cincinnati, OH  45202

May 3, 2015

To Mr. Harris and all concerned:

Please designate the "1540 Brewster Avenue" King Records buildings/parcels
historic according to City Code Chapter 1435-0505 and 1435-0507.

Please protect these buildings and parcels in accordance with other
relevant municipal, township, state and federal law. Let us know how we can
help.

Please make top protection of what we see as the heart of the King Record
building structures and parcels - the original King Studios space. The
former studio space needs to be rescued. The King Records building
structures where the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and City of Cincinnati
erected a historic marker in 2008 are in awful shape.

The ones where I S Mechanical Systems operates a warehouse seem fine.

The crumbling buildings where Cincinnati native Syd Nathan built the
recording studio remain in place.

The crumbling buildings are where James Brown Productions operated,
simultaneously birthing funk and conceiving hip-hop.

The crumbling buildings are where numerous historic records were made and
released on many labels other than King, and featuring people like Lonnie
Mack and Ruth Lyons.

The crumbling buildings are where James Brown visited in the 1990s with
interest to save, but left in disgust at how bad it looked. They are far
worse now.

The crumbling buildings are where the Stanley Brothers made history.

In 2009, a unanimous Cincinnati City Council directed the City
Administration to take necessary steps to protect the buildings of the 1540
Brewster King Records parcels.

Please take all this into account in designating these Brewster Avenue
buildings historic.

We propose an effort to protect the King Records legacy and support the
property owners at once. We ask that the parcels housing the building
structure of the studio space be treated as the most sacred and historic
part of all the former King Records buildings on Brewster.

People want to stand there. Musicians like Chuck D and Bob Dylan would
record there. Read Chronicles, Volume 1 and listen to all the Public Enemy
albums and you know.

Get Danny Adler's 2015 release "Last Session On Brewster" - it proves that
recording can still be made in the very spot where genres of American music
including gospel, doo-wop, rockabilly, jazz made history!!!

The Last Session on Brewster DVD also proves that these buildings are
crumbling and must be protected before they are lost.

Saving these buildings from a demolition brought by bulldozer or decay will
not only combat urban blight but will provide another international
attraction for the Queen City. It could be another Cincinnati neighborhood
gateway to our region.

Shouldn't the King Records studio buildings be the next Save Our Icon
problem to solve?

When CMHF partnered and facilitated the Rock Hall, City of Cincinnati,
CEAs, Cincinnati State and Evanston neighborhood in 2008 some results
included a King Records historic marker, a Rock Hall King Records class,
and CEAs King Records celebration. There has been an ongoing voice for King
Records as revitalization tool with the City and Evanston.

Evanston is amidst wonderful revitalization efforts. The economic
opportunity for international tourism to Cincinnati with an operating King
Records location should not be underestimated. Let's accelerate the
momentum by reopening Brewster Ave at Montgomery to the original King site
and a monument on the corner. All the great grassroots and partnerships
around King in Evanston over the last several years can pay off.

Factor in that Third Man Records rolled up to the King site and
instagrammed its pride in King. Third Man Studios announced it uses 1540
Brewster King recording equipment to make new recordings. Let's arrange
Jack White with "I'm Shakin'" drummer and our hero Philip Paul jam sessions
in the original spot.

YouTube Kool Moe Dee at the King Records Marker. How about a hip-hop
concert featuring Kool Moe Dee on the street in front of King and I-71?

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame President Terry Stewart declared the King
buildings "the most important real estate in the history of pop culture,"
citing not only the music, but the business innovation, as well as a
culture that was way ahead of its time in that persons of different races
and religions collaborated on all levels. In the The Emery Theater at the
2008 CEAs and King Records 65th celebration, Rock Hall President Stewart
warned Cincinnati to not let the King buildings collapse during a show
which featured a re-united JB's and Dr. Ralph Stanley and His Clinch
Mountain Boys.

Ultimately, kickstarting King Records on Brewster Avenue can provide a
transformative opportunity for us to embrace and take pride in our music
and civic history like never before.

Let's re-open Brewster and Montgomery with statue of Mr. Syd Nathan showing
us the way to King Records!

So, pursuant to the privilege granted to us as non-profits, The Cincinnati
USA Music Heritage Foundation (CMHF) and the Bootsy Collins Foundation
(BCF), formally plea for this designation immediately, so that the
buildings are protected and a deserving path to restoration happens.

With the protected status of a historic designation, BCF and CMHF pledge
ongoing leadership in partnering with the community, for which a strong
grassroots foundation has been built, for a truly deserving King Records
legacy and future.

In accordance with City Code 1435-05 and 1435-07, our request addresses the
mission of the historic conservation legislation because of the people,
culture, music, art, business, socio-economics and events associated with
the former King buildings at 1540 Brewster Avenue.

Enclosed with this plea are books, articles, music and video resources
establishing why we should be King at 1540 Brewster. We will send and
advise the public to weigh in to the best of our ability.

There is a growing list of community partners with BCF and CMHF which
includes King Studios, The Inclusion Network, Cincinnati State Technical
and Community College, Shake It Records, WCET/ThinkTV, Xavier University,
Elementz, All Night Party, Cincinnati Playhouse, School for Creative and
Performing Arts, XU Radio with Lee Hay, Mr. Rhythm Man with WNKU, Neltner
Small Batch, The Train Kept a-Rollin' Guitar Army and more.

On The One,

Patti Collins
President and Co-Founder
Bootsy Collins Foundation
Co-Founder and Officer
Cincinnati USA Music Heritage Foundation

Marvin Hawkins
President and Co-Founder
Cincinnati USA Music Heritage Foundation