ARSCLIST  September 2015

ARSCLIST September 2015

Re: W.C. Handy Docu

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Sep 2015 19:23:21 -0400

15-18K for a soup to nuts edit and DVD authoring is very reasonable. That's several hundred hours of
work, and skilled labor costs money. Some kid with a Mac might be able to do it on the cheap, but it
will look like his latest YouTube skateboarding video. As a professional who expects to be paid at
professional rates, I respect the woman for seeking real-deal high quality video editing and DVD
authoring.

The bigger problem is this crowd funding. It's mostly a scam.

Two examples where I've pledged and then been disappointed:

1. there's a well-meaning young woman trying to publish a book of "discovered" jazz photographs. She
seems to have zero project management skills and has yet to produce the promised book. She makes a
lot of earnest "I'm so sorry things are behind schedule" videos. She raised more than her goal, and
claims that "artist quality" printing will cost still more. Not really. Look at all the perfectly
acceptable quality photography books that are printed in China and sold on Amazon for $20 or less.
The project was irresponsibly represented, because she hadn't secured the rights completely and
hadn't lined up a publisher.

2. a certain manufacturer of reportedly high-quality digital audio gear has made a business model of
raising crowd-source money to do their entire R&D and then manufacturing, based on vague promises
and photos of prototypes. They actually delivered a USB headphone amplifier, but then have been
literally years behind on their other promised products. After more than year from the time they
first charged my credit card, I reported them to the California Attorney General's office and, after
they received an "explain this mess to us" letter from the AG's office, they "generously agreed" to
refund my money. Suffice to say, I shall never do business with them again!

Bottom line, I will NEVER participate in "crowd-funding" schemes again. I am happy to make
investments in legitimate ventures with strict legal contracts involved (which include performance
requirements and timelines), the same kinds of requirements that are put on me when I am contracted
to do consulting, mastering or transfer work.

-- Tom Fine