EDUCAT Archives

EDUCAT@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

Monospaced Font

EDUCAT Home

EDUCAT  September 2015

EDUCAT September 2015

Annotate movie credits to help improve library data

"Bothmann, Robert L" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Sep 2015 16:19:22 +0000

Posting on behalf of Kelley McGrath. It's a fun and easy way to get your cataloging students into video cataloging!
-Bobby Bothmann

Help make it easier to find film and video in libraries! Contribute to an experiment to explore extracting structured data from free text in MARC!

OLAC (http://www.olacinc.org/) is working on project to make the process of finding film and video in library catalogs better. We plan to take data from MARC records and map it to structured data that can

* drive more effective discovery interfaces

* is easier to maintain

* is in a form that can be used for sharing as linked data.
We are working on automating the interpretation of statements of responsibility in MARC records. Please help us create a pool of correct answers for training a computer program by annotating some film and video credits at http://olac-annotator.org/ It only takes a few minutes to make a contribution. We want to annotate as many credits as possible over the next month.
 You can help by

  * Annotating movie credits at http://olac-annotator.org/ (identifying the names and roles or functions they performed)
  * Translating movie credits into English from languages ranging from Chinese to Spanish to Urdu at
http://olac-annotator.org/
  * Identifying and documenting patterns in credits that will be challenging for a computer to interpret by copying examples of problem credits to the spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/16dhQTw7Us2r7nSyrfAKgf725vvYifq4NtYv8sApyOvk/edit?usp=sharing (http://tinyurl.com/p2o3m8l)
Go to http://olac-annotator.org/ to get started. More background information is available at http://olac-annotator.org/#/about or sign up for our discussion list at https://lists.uoregon.edu/mailman/listinfo/olac-credits Feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> with any questions or if you'd like to get involved with the data analysis part of the project.
Please share this information with anyone you think might be interested and thank you for your help.

Kelley

Kelley McGrath
Metadata Management Librarian
University of Oregon