DATETIME  October 2015

DATETIME October 2015

Re: Century

Tue, 20 Oct 2015 12:06:58 +0200

Since century is not uniformly defined (for example,
19th century is 19-Jahrhundret or "19 Year Hundreds" in German and 19
sicle in French but  artonhundratalet or "18 Year Hundreds" in Swedish) we
should be able to define it in a universal way. Using 19 as century to
align with English, German, French and a number of other languages and
national conventions is, I think, defendable.

One important point that we need to keep before our eyes (and I can't
repeat often enough): a date in the  19th century is NOT the same as a date
specified in the range 1800/1899 but  a date with a precision of century
(e.g. +- slop). When we speak of the  range of a century (for example in
genre) it is very grainy. The famous  Norwegean painter Eduard Monk, for
example, is considered a 19th Century  painter yet his artistic production
spanned into the 1940s-- even one  version of the "Scream" was painted in
1910. He is considered by many to be a 19th Century painter since his
iconic works are within the model of late 19th Century Symbolism and German
expressionism. Others might slap him into  Art Nouveau. That movement is
considered to span from around the 1890s  until WW-I. There are works, of
course, before and there are works, of  course, after... The point I'm
trying to make is that calling Monk a 19th century artist contains its own
artistic position. A curator might put the same works in shows highlighting
the 19th and 20th centuries.
Another example.. Mary Quant. She is generally known for her mini-skirts,
hot-pants and PVC experiments in the 1960s and is considered a 1960s icon
yet continued to be pretty active through the 1980s. When we talk about
1960s fashion and hotpants we, however, end up in the 1970s (it was 1971
when Southwest Airlines had their hotpant clad flight attendents say "Fly
Me").

To BCE.. It is complicated... I think we discussed this with quite some
depth some years ago... Out mail archive I think has a large number of
examples...

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 23:48:59 -0500, Richard Tallent wrote
> > On Oct 19, 2015, at 1:36 PM, Denenberg, Ray <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > Richard and [UTF-8?]Saašha have pointed out that years 1 - 99 could be
misinterpreted as centuries, or viced versa.  I want to point out that
[UTF-8?]“year  [UTF-8?]1” is [UTF-8?]‘0001’ and [UTF-8?]“year
[UTF-8?]99” is [UTF-8?]‘0099’.  [UTF-8?]‘1’ would be an invalid
string, and [UTF-8?]‘99’ would unambiguously be a century.  So I [UTF-
8?]don’t think there is a problem here.

> Very good point [UTF-8?]— I momentarily forgot the 4-digit requirement.
>
> > Richard points out that it is currently impossible to specify a BCE
century.  I [UTF-8?]don’t really understand, can you elaborate? [UTF-8?]
-19’ would mean -1900/-1999, right? Which would be what? The 20th
century BC?

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB