DATETIME  November 2015

DATETIME November 2015

Re: 1/27 conference call notes

Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:45:25 +0100

On Fri, 13 Nov 2015 13:57:46 -0500, Denenberg, Ray wrote
> From: [UTF-8?]SaaÅ¡ha Metsärantala
>
> > Thanks a lot for all those clarifications! Maybe it is time to
recapitulate:

> > > 19XX: between 1900 and 1999
>
> I know this is a somewhat confusing and I need to reiterate: What we used
to call 'u' we now call 'X', and what we used to call 'x' has not been
retained in that form, but replaced by another form of precision.

> So, 19XX means what we formerly meant by 19uu: some unspecified year
between 1900 and 1999.

> For "decade precision", I am suggesting introducing a three-digit form
(three digits currently has no meaning in 8601).  Thus 196 means a year in
the 1960s with decade precision.  For century precision, I am suggesting to
use the existing form for century, 2-digits.

In a word:  @#$%&!
I don't like it.  It is not consistent. If 19 means now the 20th century
(anglo convention) with a precision of century, and 196 mean a year the
1960s with a precision of decade.. Then, of course, 1 is the 2nd century
with a precision of century.. 99 is the 1000th century with a precision of
century..
And 100? That would be a year in the the 1000s with a precision of decade..
Seems confusing.

I have another suggestion: the posfix "s".
When I speak of the 1990s, for example, I mean what you now call 199.. Why
not call it that!
One could extend it too to other units such as century etc.. It is kind of
like a reversed decimal point..  0s means decade... Can dicuss all the
other combinations..

> > A date between 1900 and 1999, not estimated to a year is denoted
1950P2.

> No.
>
> > > 1950P2 : between 1900 and 1999, estimated to be 1950.
>
> > A date between 1900 and 1999, estimated to year 1950 is denoted 1950P2.
>
> Yes.
>
> > > 1920P2 means a date between 1900 and 1999, estimated to be 1920.
>
> > A date between 1900 and 1999, estimated to year 1920 is denoted 1920P2.
>
> Yes.
>
> > Now the following questions need to be clarified:
>

> > A date between 1830 and 1929, not estimated to a year is denoted:
>
> > Tobefilled? (one hundred years with no estimation to a year where the
>
> > boundaries are not at 00 and 99 of a "century")
>
> You could use the "one of a set" feature:
>
> [1830...1929]
>

> > A date between 1860 and 1959, estimated to year 1910 is denoted:

That was the intent of our approximation mode.... We guess the year to be
1910 with some confidence but with a high certainly we "know" that it could
not have been before 1860 nor after 1959. Generally the ranges are a bit
tighter but...

--

Edward C. Zimmermann, NONMONOTONIC LAB