The University of Akron seeks a motivated, collegial, flexible, and creative individual as Coordinator, Cataloging Services. Reporting to the Head, Electronic Services, this position coordinates cataloging projects and processes, and assists in leading the development and upkeep of evolving skills and technology as pertains to cataloging and resource discovery. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the impact of cataloging services on the success of other library operations. The Coordinator is a member of the University Libraries Policy and Planning Group. The University of Akron is a member of the OhioLINK system, a state-wide consortium of 90 institutions. This is a faculty position and will be tenure track or non-tenure track, at variable rank, depending on credentials.
• Effectively prioritize and balance multiple projects simultaneously.
• Direct the work of 2 faculty and 3 staff catalogers.
• Perform original and copy cataloging to local, national, and international standards; resolve complex copy cataloging and post-cataloging problems.
• Perform authority work and maintenance of bibliographic data.
• Review and batch load records, including coordinating with vendors to acquire catalog records meeting appropriate standards.
• Prepare statistical and narrative reports on cataloging and related activities.
• Participate in professional growth and development to enhance skills and knowledge of current trends in cataloging and metadata.
• Cultivate an environment of continual learning in the cataloging unit; create effective cataloging documentation and training materials.
• Plan strategically, incorporating the University's Vision 20/20 and the University Libraries Mission Statement into processes and decisions.
• Actively participate in library committees, governance, and working groups.
• Participate in professional development, research, and service activities.
• The successful candidate must be a citizen of the United States or have the necessary employment authorization certification from the federal government permitting permanent employment in the United States.
• ALA-accredited master's degree in library or information science and three (3) or more years of copy and original cataloging experience with library resources in a variety of formats in an academic or research library environment.
• Demonstrated understanding of national cataloging standards including RDA, MARC21, LCSH, and LCC. Strong leadership skills and the ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a rapidly changing environment.
• Proficiency with authority work.
• Experience with batch loading and processing of records as well as experience training cataloging staff or students; demonstrated ability to create effective cataloging documentation and training materials.
• Well-developed problem-solving, organizational, and communications skills (oral, written, and interpersonal), ability to effectively plan, organize, and prioritize tasks according to schedules and goals, aptitude for complex, analytical work with attention to detail, and an understanding of the research and publication process.
• Knowledge of project management principles.
• Past participation in strategic planning processes.
• Experience using OCLC Connexion, III Sierra/Millennium, MarcEdit, and/or OCLC Knowledge Base.
• Expertise in cataloging electronic resources or audiovisual materials.
• Familiarity with electronic resource management systems and workflows.
• Involvement with digital initiatives and projects, including management of metadata in a digital or institutional repository.
• Familiarity with shared catalogs and library consortiums.
• Demonstrated academic publication productivity and potential.
• Ability to meet the requirements for reappointment and tenure at the University of Akron.
Formal review of applications will begin January 11, 2016 and remain open until filled.
Additional Information and Application Instructions
For complete details and to apply please visit: http://www.uakron.edu/jobs. Search for Job ID# 9272
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application, attach a cover letter, curriculum vitae documenting education and relevant experience, three to five samples of recent cataloging, and the names and e-mail addresses of three or more professional references to your profile.
The University of Akron is an equal education and employment institution. It is the policy of this institution that there shall be no unlawful discrimination against any individual in employment or in its programs or activities at The University of Akron because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, genetic information or status as a veteran. The University is also committed to the principles of affirmative action and acts in accordance with state and federal laws.
Associate Professor of Bibliography
Special Collections Cataloger
The University of Akron
Akron, OH 44325-1712
Bierce Library Office: 330-972-2446
Archival Services Office: 330-972-6830