ARSCLIST  January 2016

ARSCLIST January 2016

Re: One more sticky-shed data point - Richardson treated tape

lists <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jan 2016 15:36:30 -0500

John:

We have noticed more problems with 8mm tape recently than in the past.
Unfortunately, that can be said about most tapes.  In general, we clean and
burnish 8mm tapes with great success without baking.  Of course, that means
you have to build an 8mm cleaning machine.  We have baked a few 8mm that did
not respond to clean-only processing and it seemed to work.    It could be
hydrolysis, it could be LOL or it could simply be general shedding due to
inadequate quality control when manufacturing large quantities of fairly
cheap consumer tape.  Sorry, doesn't really answer your question but, we
have not actually done any laboratory tests on the 8mm so I would be
hesitant to give a strong opinion without data to back me up.

Peter Brothers
SPECS BROS., LLC
973-777-5055
Audio and video restoration and re-mastering since 1983