ARSCLIST  January 2016

ARSCLIST January 2016

Re: Craft Urania "Bal let Mécanique" -- anyone got the t ape?

Steve Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 18 Jan 2016 10:11:25 -0500

At one point, maybe 1962-3, Urania physically combined its distribution warehouse with that of Haydn Society.  The same staff packed and shipped orders for both labels.  I visited this warehouse then, in the company of a friend who was running Haydn Society for its owners and had arranged this accommodation.

During various conversations at about this time, it was clear that tapes were a small market for Urania.  They were more focused on LP records by a long shot.  Their extensive catalog of wartime and postwar German radio performances supplied by an entity in East Germany was the backbone of its catalog.

The issue of the day was less about tapes than if mono records should be made in fake stereo as well and if it was necessary to describe them as mono originals that had been altered to give this effect- an ethical problem for all manufacturers at the time and worth of study.

Tapes for Haydn Society and Urania were duplicated by Julie Koenens (sp?) at Dubbings, a small facility that I visited about this time.  If there was more than one employee, doing secretarial services, I didn't see him.  I no longer recall if  they were made in real time or double speed, but it was deliberately slow compared with other duplication houses to get better quality.  These were 2 track, of course.

The Paul Price records (I think there were two) were issued and reissued many times, increasingly as cheaper products as Urania changed hands.  A history of the company appeared in Classic Record Collector in multiple issues.

The Price, the Kansas City Philharmonic and other U.S. made recordings were of such nature that I always thought they were privately underwritten.   From casual conversations at the time I know the company had no capital for this kind of adventure on its oiwn.

Steve Smolian