ARSCLIST  January 2016

ARSCLIST January 2016

Re: Cassttes - Re: [ARSCLIST] One more sticky-shed data point - Richardson treated tape

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Jan 2016 16:29:37 -0500

YES on Memorex. In my experience, those enclosures tend to warp or something else happens where they
squeeze the tape pack too tightly. I often end up replacing them. The tape seems to hold up just
fine over time, though. Also the funky thick paper-ish leader tape.

YES also on azimuth. Luckily, I haven't had to deal with too many high-fidelity music recordings on
cassettes, except those I made myself. Azimuth is usually less of an issue with lo-fi oral history
recordings. In those cases, it's more about trying to tame the hiss down without making the voices
inaudible. I usually end up having to do plenty of digital processing to get maximum audibility.
Luckily, it's all there in the old Bell System research -- make sure certain human-voice frequencies
are OK and you can hi- and lo-pass the heck out of problem tapes. In my experience, the client's
goal with oral histories is as much audibility of the spoken words as possible, not necessarily
fidelity to the voice itself. Of course, optimally, you want both, but some recordings are just
awful and it's pulling the needle (the audible words) out of the haystack of background noise,
surface resonances, and tape hiss.

-- Tom Fine