ARSCLIST  January 2016

ARSCLIST January 2016

Why save all that data? (was Re: [ARSCLIST] LTO vs HDD)

Tom Fine <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Jan 2016 06:46:35 -0500

Which brings up the bigger issue -- do they need to keep all that data? We've just seen what happens
when the government "security" forces build up a huge haystack -- they missed the needle in San
Bernadino. I'm not convinced about capturing huge amounts of any data, just to keep it. This has
been my argument about accumulating vs. collecting and archiving. Just because something was put to
media doesn't mean it's worth preserving. In a world of limited resources, descisions need to be
made by humans as to what is worthy of the efforts and money involved in digital preservation and
storage. I would say the same is true of all data. In our world, those decisions are by nature
aesthetic and sometimes political. It's how human culture works, it's constantly curating the past
and making value judgements, and media archives are really just cultural archives. I think all of
this will be even harder in a generation or so, because so much media is being created and thrown
online every day. There's no effort involved in the "releasing" mechanism anymore -- you just thrown
your production online and see if it sticks. Your "production" can be an artistic work such as
music, fictional video, fictional writing, an artfully crafted documentary, or it can be pure
opinion or noise or something in between. Any of it can be "released" through the same filterless,
no-cost mechanisms. In the pre-Internet days, when mass media was manufactured physical media,
humans had to decide what projects to fund through the releasing mechanisms, so some curating was
taking place from the get-go.

I know, I took this in a whole new direction ...I changed the subject line. I'm interested if this
line of thought is being addressed in archiving circles and in schools where archivists learn their
craft. My thesis is that creation of data is easier and cheaper than ever, but there are still major
costs to archiving and storage, and thus more than ever we need skilled curators to cut through the
noise and garbage and preserve what will matter in 100 years. For pre-digital stuff, there are even
greater preservation costs in time and money, so I think more curating is necessary.

-- Tom Fine