ARSCLIST  January 2016

ARSCLIST January 2016

Re: Why save all that data? (was Re: [ARSCLIST] LTO vs HDD)

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Jan 2016 11:41:34 -0500

Hi, Tom,

This is a very complex question and probably has as many answers as
questioners.

I was reading an article from Scientific American about medical data
security. It appears that medical data without personal identifiers has
been widely circulated for years. It is useful for long term
(longitudinal) studies to determine things like long term effects of
drugs, radiation exposure, etc. While the person is anonymous, the point
was made that through today's data mining techniques, it is relatively
easy to point back to the individual from the comparing identified
records with anonymous records. To be effective, the randomized data
over time needs to be tied to an individual. You can't compare Joe's
1957 and Jim's 2003 data and achieve useful results. You have to compare
Joe's 1957 and Joe's 2003 data to achieve useful results and with
tracking that data over time, even though you do not know who Joe is, by
comparing with other data, you can figure it out.

So, that was the article thesis,  but data mining on both sides of this
question (anonymous and named) can create useful societal results.

Part of the challenge in archives, as I understand it, is learning what
is significant and what is chaff. It is difficult to predict what will
be useful in the future.

I will provide an example from my life of tape archiving. When I started
to get heavily into this, I subscribed to many of the same mailing lists
that you did. I found I didn't always know what I would need to know in
the future, so I made a point of archiving all the posts rather than
trying to figure out what was of interest and what was not. I then
decided that there were several lists that had high enough traffic that
I couldn't / shouldn't keep up, but I still kept all the posts. There
have been several instances where some search terms have given me a post
from one of those lists that helped answer a question I was having
perhaps half a decade after the original post.

It is easier and cheaper for me to keep it all (at least in regards to
email) than to spend the time sorting. I spend enough time just sorting
my general inbox every few months to keep it down to under 1000 messages.

On the other hand, I do not keep every project I've done.

 From another perspective, my bank used to keep online data for me for
six to eighteen months, depending on account type. They really, really
wanted to stop mailing me paper statements, so one of the perks is that
they keep the data now for seven years--conveniently the time I need to
maintain records for the tax man. If I think of it, I will download my
year's credit card and main checking account information, not so much to
preserve it, I trust the bank to do that better than I can, but rather
now at tax time, I can review all the charges, then search for the
emailed invoice for many and make certain I have all the correct items
to deduct as business expenses. Much faster, and saves space in file
drawers and ultimately on storage shelves. Up until this year, we had
been saving a "book box" or 10-ream paper box worth of paper data for
accounting each year.

Digital images the same: I generally keep most of what I shoot as I
don't always shoot with a specific purpose other than, I LIKE THIS. So,
different versions of the same image may pertain better than others to a
later desire to create.

While still in the 1-2 TB class, we are starting to see our local
historical society's storage needs increase (10 years worth of data was
kept on a 320 GB HDD along with the computer's OS and program files). I
know have a 4 TB RAID-6 NAS unit there as we are adding video interviews
that are part of our historic collection -- and retrospectively
digitizing audio and video.

Cheers,

Richard