ARSCLIST  January 2016

ARSCLIST January 2016

Re: LTO vs HDD

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:00:41 -0500

Hi, Mark,

The only way one can truly evaluate something is to own it and use it
for an extended period. Making the jump to a new platform is full of
risk, and no platform is perfect.

With that said, I started into the NAS world in 2007 with Netgear Ready
NAS NV+ units. Overall, I have bought five of these. They are now
woefully obsolete and slow, but at least one (with four WD 2 TB Reds)
was still going strong when I put it on the shelf. One of the two 2007
units failed in 2015--perhaps due to lack of cleaning of the fans. It
was in a son's dorm room. The other one is still going strong in the
other son's dorm room. The other three are from 2010 and the Seagate 1.5
TB drives were awful, but the enclosures were fine. The original two had
server 500 GB drives, and only one needed replacement after a year or
two. The drives were still going strong in 2015.

In 2008, I bought a pair of Thecus N5200 PRO and they were fine until
the CPU fan went in one in 2015. These had Samsung 1 TB drives. I put
them away with a snapshot of the data as of last month.

Although I liked both Netgear and Thecus, all the research I did in
2013-2014 pointed towards QNAP as the best quality and value in this
space. In January 2014, I installed a five slot TS-569 PRO with 3 TB WD
Red drives in a RAID-6 configuration.

In October 2014, I installed a four-slot TS-453 Pro at a local non-profit.

In December 2015, I upgraded the 3 TB drives in the TS-569 to 4 TB
drives and used those drives plus some new ones in a new TS-853 Pro
frame. Alas, I received a defective frame, but after some back and forth
convincing myself and the vendor that it was defective, I received good
service via CDW.CA on the return and the head of Canadian
service/support was great.

The TS-X53 units are screamingly fast even with the slower WD Red drives
in them. I am seeing 100MB/s (that's BYTES) throughput to/from the new
TS-853 PRO on my wired gigabit Ethernet (80 % wire speed). I see bursts
close to 90 % wire speed. The X53 units come with FOUR gigabit Ethernet
ports (the X69 had two) and I use two on the main server here and at the
non-profit.

Note that 3 TB drives and more slots is less costly than say 5 TB drives
and fewer slots. I do spin the drives down after a half hour on the
backup unit but keep them spinning 24/7 on the main unit.

I did not add the cost of power in my cost analysis between more smaller
drives and fewer larger drives.

I did not get the 8 GB memory option as I am not running this as a
public server. I do write all my documents directly to the NAS unit, but
media ingest is to the local HDD and then pushed to the NAS (and then
cloned overnight to the second NAS).

Cheers,

Richard