Help for DATETIME Archives

DATETIME Archives

DATETIME@C4VLPLISTSERV01.LOC.GOV

DATETIME Home

DATETIME  January 2016

DATETIME January 2016

Re: DATETIME Digest - 4 Dec 2015 to 5 Dec 2015 (#2015-58)

Jarkko Hietaniemi <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 9 Jan 2016 09:23:48 -0500

I must have missed the discussion...

but please tell me I misunderstood that it has been suggested that
three-digit and two-digit things like

196
19

would mean 1900s and 1960s.  If this was not a misunderstanding, or
a figment of the digest malformatting (the digest shows up to me as
rather battered HTML), please reconsider that.  That would be a really
bad decision.  The most obvious one being that how would one then
specify the year one hundread and ninety-six, for example?  Not just
for ancient authors, but for specifying dates for any old events.

Rather, stick to specifying the uncertain parts with the "u", e.g.

196u
19uu

I have written my share of date parsing and formatting software,
and I simply cannot even start to describe how utterly bad an idea
it would be to encode uncertainty by the absence of digits.