Monospaced Font

ARSCLIST  February 2016

ARSCLIST February 2016

Re: Playing reels backwards - separating myth from fact

"Richard L. Hess" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Feb 2016 14:30:18 -0500

Dave,

I recall this topic being discussed with gusto at the end of the last
century, and I think the idea should remain there.

The reissue of the Mercury Living Presence Marcel Dupré recordings in a
new box set is an example, when compared with the early 1990s CD
releases, of how modern equipment (both analog and digital) can capture
more from the same tapes. The 1990s CDs were very good, overall good or
better than the original LPs. The current hi-def files are superb.

The same could be said for the RCA Living Stereo CDs and SACDs (I have
not experienced the latter) done by Soundmirror/Mark Donahue.

I was able to demonstrate that with the Stan Rogers album masters that I
made high-res copies of.

Cheers,

Richard

--
Richard L. Hess email: [log in to unmask]
Aurora, Ontario, Canada 647 479 2800