BIBFRAME February 2016

Re: creating/writing bibframe data

James Weinheimer <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Feb 2016 19:30:04 +0100

On 2/24/2016 4:54 PM, Joy Nelson wrote:
> When I look at Bibframe and linked data in general, I believe there
> will be various uses for it.  In a public library setting, there may
> not be a huge need for linking to external sources (like youtube,
> etc).  However, linking the data we already have to one another would
> be very useful.  As a public library user I am frustrated with the
> limitations of the catalog just as you mentioned James.   And the
> inflexibility of MARC is what I see as a major obstacle to improving
> the catalog experience.  With linked data the catalog becomes
> FRBRized.  This I believe is more in line with what patrons want - a
> list of the items organized in a way that doesn't involve jumping from
> one bibliographic record to another.
>
> For academic (and some special public libraries with special
> collections) the benefits are much greater in the area of research.
> Instead of helping a patron find just one item that's cataloged, we
> help them find a broader breadth of materials across collections that
> will assist them in their research endeavors.  Instead of searching
> silo after silo after silo...we search once and find the many.
>
> The reason we all love Google so much is that they are using linked
> data!  And if you use it and love it (and i do too) then it's not a
> far stretch to think about how much better a library ILS can be using
> those same concepts.
>
> It's an incredibly hard thing to do, but I think we need to resist the
> urge to get up and personal with the trees right now.   As we move
> towards a world of linked data the specifics of workflow will
> inevitably work themselves out....they always do in every system.
> There will be plenty of resistance as well, there always is.  The
> hardest part of any transition is generally the people themselves.  :-D

Well, I am a heretic. I am not nearly so enamored of FRBR as is the rest
of the library community. I have done quite a bit of reference work, and
I have found very few times when the public wants or needs to navigate
works/expressions/manifestations/items. 99% of the time, people simply
want a copy of Huck Finn or the Divine Comedy, and they don't care which
expression/manifestation it is, so long as it is in the language they
want. The public has other, far more serious problems with our catalogs,
but this is not the forum for that discussion.

Also, while Google does use linked data, it is not in their search
results. Where we see it is in their "knowledge graphs". So, if I do a
search for "Albrecht Durer"
(https://www.google.com/search?q=albrecht+durer) in the right-hand
column, I see a "card" (their word for it!) that is Durer's "Google
Knowledge Graph". It has a few of his paintings and engravings, basic
info stolen from Wikipedia, some quotes, more artwork, and finally, I
discover that people also searched for "Raphael, Jan van Eyck, Leonardo
da Vinci, Titian and Michelangelo". In their advertising, Google of
course says that this is *absolutely amazing!!!!*
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmQl6VGvX-c) but we shouldn't believe a
promo. Is this really so amazing? In fact, I find it practically
useless. The information we see in the Google knowledge graphs may be
useful to a 5 or 6 year old, but to few other people.

Another place we see Google use linked data is with email. When someone
books a hotel room or has a flight, the company can markup the email
they send that will interoperate with Google to provide people with
extra information. (See
http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2013/08/sites-that-integrate-with-google-now.html)

The reason Google search works so much better for me than Bing or Yahoo,
is not because it uses linked data because it doesn't. It works better
because (fortunately or unfortunately) it has a huge database of my own
browsing habits going back years, and Google's super-secret algorithms
work on that trove of my personal browsing history. For this
convenience, I gave up my privacy. I don't know if I like it but there
it is....

In any case, linked data does not allow *you* to work with *your own
data* in any ways you couldn't already. After all, you have complete
control over your own data and can convert it, search it, manipulate it,
or display it in any ways you could possibly want right now, and you
already understand all of its semantics. Linked data allows *others* to
use your data--people who do not understand the structures of your own
data--and then they can manipulate your data in ways they want. In that
way, they can create things that you might never dream of.

Of course, that is linked *open* data. Linked *closed* data (or
proprietary linked data) is another matter entirely.

James Weinheimer [log in to unmask]
First Thus http://blog.jweinheimer.net
First Thus Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/FirstThus
Personal Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/james.weinheimer.35