BIBFRAME February 2016

Re: creating/writing bibframe data

Simeon Warner <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Feb 2016 09:22:59 -0500

I agree with Joy - a key reason to pursue open and linked data that
James points out is that Google is able to "rip off" open data from
Wikipedia and other sources. That is what we want to happen so that we
maximize the global benefit "brought to you by the catalogers of the
world!" by freeing data from local catalog silos so that the public  can
in fact "see and use it" ... and maybe even find a library resource or
two in the mix.

We may also hope to minimize duplicate effort in the cataloging world by
even more open and immediate sharing than previously, and use a model
allowing more structure to better represent the data. Plenty of
obstacles to getting there but the idea of better data, more readily
shared, is compelling to me. Tantalizing glimpses how this might be
leveraged only help.

Cheers,
Simeon