BIBFRAME February 2016

Re: Cataloging in multiple schemas

James Weinheimer <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 Feb 2016 10:30:59 +0100

On 2/8/2016 8:03 PM, Karen Coyle wrote:
> This brings to mind something that I have often heard Diane Hillmann
> say: that catalogers do not talk in terms of AACR (or now, RDA) rules,
> but instead they speak "MARC". This of course is a confusion of the
> content and the carrier, something we should be more carefully aware
> of. To consider yourself cataloging in BIBFRAME would be making the
> same mistake. The cataloging rules are RDA or ISBD or DACS (etc.), and
> that determines the content of the catalog entry. The carrier is MARC
> or BIBFRAME or ISBD or any number of other possible data carriers. It
> should be possible to transport our data in a variety of carriers, and
> to define a variety of profiles for different uses.  We do need to be
> able to catalog in all of the detail of our rules, even if many
> applications use only a portion of that detail.

I don't think I agree with this. When catalogers speak, they speak
primarily in terms of rules and procedures, not so much in terms of
MARC. A quick review of Autocat or RDA shows this. When catalogers do
use MARC, it is more of a shorthand for the rules, e.g. they might use
245$b in place of typing out "other title information".

What catalogers do not talk about is rules other than their own.
Occasionally, catalogers might bring up other, related cataloging rules
that are still library-based, e.g. rare books, but they almost never
discuss how non-library related sets of rules, e.g. Onix, handles a
bibliographic concept. When the universe is widened even further, for
instance in the case of author-created metadata, no discussions at all
take place. In my opinion, this is highly unfortunate since library
records will be encountered more and more often *outside* of the
traditional library systems--after all, that is one of the main purposes
of linked data--and catalogers should concern themselves with making
their records coherent in those settings.

A single example of what I mean is: how do we make a subject heading
such as this:

Dostoyevsky, Fyodor, 1821-1881--Homes and haunts--Russia
(Federation)--Novokuznet︠s︡k.

which is both useful and coherent when it is within the library catalog,
but when taken out (as here) becomes something very strange. Absolutely
nobody (except for a library cataloger) would ever think to look up
anything like this. How do we make this type of bibliographic oddity
less bizarre in the linked data universe?

James Weinheimer [log in to unmask]
First Thus http://blog.jweinheimer.net
First Thus Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/FirstThus
Personal Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/james.weinheimer.35