DATETIME February 2016

Re: WD: Reduced accuracy

"Denenberg, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 25 Feb 2016 11:30:14 -0500

I'm not saying that this can't or won't be changed in the final approved standard. I AM saying that it could NOT have been changed in the initial Working Draft.  A Working Draft eventually becomes a Committee Draft, when it reaches a certain level of stability; until that time the Working Draft remains  subject to revision by the committee.  However this initial Working Draft was produced under a deadline - the committee would have been terminated if it did not meet that deadline.
There was one participant (not a committee member but a liaison) who firmly insisted on "accuracy" vs. "precision". He pointed to some ISO reference that insists that "accuracy" is the correct term.  I haven't looked at it yet, we needed to move on and get the WD out, and fight that battle later. We were able to use "precision" in the precision-specific material.
The time to address this matter isn't clear to me yet, I need to investigate further what the review, comment, and approval processes are.  It's been a long time (25+ years) since I have been closely involved in an ISO standard.

Ray