The Kalliope Union Catalog, a service of the Berlin State Library, launched a new online catalog in May 2015 which we now complemented with an English interface: http://kalliope.staatsbibliothek-berlin.de/en.
The Union Catalog provides access to over 19.100 finding aids for publisher's archives, personal paper and manuscript collections with over 2.76 million units of descriptions about correspondences, manuscripts, pictures, etc., primarily ranging from the 16th to the 20th century. Most persons, corporate bodies, geographical names, and subject headings are linked with the Integrated Authority File of the German National Library.
Some of the features of the new catalog are:
- A simple search including a phrase search
- An expert search (Contextual Query Language (CQL))
- Search Options, e.g. limit results to digitized objects
- Browse Finding Aids including Table of Contents and Indices
- Visualize Correspondent Networks with up-to 500 persons
- Linking names with online biographies, e.g. Wikipedia or the German Biography
- Manage records in your own lists including export to BIBTEX format, e.g. for Citavi, Mendeley, etc.
- Access data via Search/Retrieve via URL search protocol (SRU)
(1) Returning the catalog's whole data set to browse by facets
(2) Table of Content of a finding aid
(3) Visualized Correspondent Network
(4) Authority Record linked with online resources
For more information visit our Tour d'Horizon:
Moreover, the Kalliope Union Catalog complies with standards and makes use of established open source applications:
- Solr Search Engine and Typo3 Neos CMS
- Indexing XML-encoded finding aids based on Encoded Archival Description (EAD)
- Indexing XML-encoded authority records based Encoded Archival Context (EAC-CPF)
- Compliance with the General International Standard Archival Description (ISAD(G))
- Cooperation with the Integrated Authority File of the German National Library
- Cooperation with the national agency for the International Standard Library Identifier and Related Organizations (ISIL)
Today, 108 organizations from the library, archival, and museum community create new finding aids with the Union Catalogs maintenance application to benefit from the services and the aforementioned standards.
Berlin State Library - Prussian Cultural Heritage Foundation
Department of Bibliographic Services,
Kalliope - Union Catalog for
Personal Paper and Manuscript Collections
Potsdamer Straße 33, 10785 Berlin
ph.: +49 30 266-435119
e-mail: [log in to unmask]