]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  March 2016

ARSCLIB March 2016

Re: ARSCLIB: The ARSC Library and Archives Electronic Discussion List

"Tom Fine (GMail)" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 31 Mar 2016 07:18:45 -0400

text/plain

Hi Jenny:

I can see the reasoning behind this new list, even if I don't fully agree (no harm in that, it's OK
to agree to disagree on some things). I plan to quietly monitor the goings-on, as I am not so expert
in deep-dive librarian matters. My main purpose is to watch for topics of "cross-pollination"
between the two lists.

I remain concerned that a tribalism that some ARSC Members already say is present, could get worse,
by splitting different interest groups into different e-mail "camps." Hopefully, many will subscribe
to both lists and much cross-list discussion will take place when the topics warrant. There is much
general interest, even deep in the technical weeds. For instance, it is useful for an archivist or
librarian to remain in contact with those who may have expertise in their content and/or unique
media. And, it is important for those with personally-curated collections, especially those who wish
to donate those collections to an institution or library, to understand the mechanics, processes and
issues involved with an institution or library taking in their collection. Another example is
metadata -- it matters both at the institutional level and at the private digital library level.

Until, proven otherwise, I will take a glass-half-full optimistic approach to this change, and wish
the new list a type of success that is "force-multiplying" for ARSC.

-- Tom Fine