PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  March 2016

PCCLIST March 2016

Re: J level record?

Jenifer K Marquardt <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Mar 2016 18:50:21 +0000

Hello, Kevin,

The J used to be a very helpful hint that you might want to look for another record to use, or at least evaluate your choice of using the J level record.  I used to see it most often when enough volumes of a potential serial came out (usually 5) in monographic form.  Then the monographic records were coded J and a serial record was created instead.  This sometimes happened when the first volume of a comprehensive title lacked the numbering, but later volumes justified creating a comprehensive description.  Then the original record for the first volume was coded J.

Perhaps in today's cataloging environment, this convention is not as helpful as it once was.

Jenifer

Jenifer K. Marquardt
Asst. Head of Cataloging & Authorities Librarian
University of Georgia
Athens, GA 30602-1641