Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  April 2016

ARSCLIB April 2016

Re: Purchasing a Horn for an Edison Standard Phonograph

Michael Biel <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 4 Apr 2016 11:19:20 -0700

Ironically this question is more of the type for the tradition list
rather than the library one.  There is a Mechanical Music Show in Wayne
New Jersey this Sunday and you can see all the horns you have ever
envisioned.

The 14 inch size is a real small horn, and there are a lot of very fine
reproductions being made with a black body and brass bell.  You can also
find many originals. Horns this small are very inexpensive.

BUT -- do you really mean that the machine is a Standard H or are you
reading "Model H" from the tail weight on the reproducer??  You have to
look at the patent plate.
http://www.antiquephono.org/edison-standard-patent-plate-notes/     The
Standard F is a very late machine, and there are only rumors that there
was ever a real Standard G that was not just a modified F.  Anyway, the
later Standards had the reproducer on the top of the machine with the
outlet facing up, and placing  14-inch horn on it pointing to the
ceiling looks stupid and is impractical.  They were designed for the
Cygnet horns.

Does your machine have the reproducer at about a 45 degree angle?  Those
would be the usual A through E Standards.  This will help you figure out
what you have.
http://www.antiquephono.org/spotters-guide-edison-standard-phonograph/

I see 14 inch horns at deralers for $40 to $60.  You might try this
today for a $30 bid and see if you get it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-BRASS-CYLINDER-PHONOGRAPH-PLAYER-HORN-/391418009529

Wyatt is a good dealer and this is his catalog page with horns.
http://www.wyattsmusical.com/horns.pdf

Antique Phono Supply was good for me in the past -- Dennis and Patti
Valente -- but I am not sure what they have in stock.
http://www.antiquephono.com/edisect.htm

In all cases it would be wise to call and speak to the dealer and see
what is new and what is reproduction.

Mike Biel  [log in to unmask]