Bravo, Wendy! Beautifully put!
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sistrunk, Wendy
Sent: Monday, April 4, 2016 5:19 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [ARSCLIST] The ARSC Library and Archives Electronic Discussion List
I was going to just let this all go and slump away into the mists, but I feel the need for some additional perspective... at least that of my own.
I agree that one ARSC Listserv would be grand. I love going to ARSC meetings for the very reasons David pointed out are stated in our purposes: to encourage cooperation and communication among recordings archivists and collectors. I have learned much, became fast friends with those outside my own profession, and enjoy the discovery of new music and research, the profound impact of discovery and of dissemination ~ all that. I have *adored* ARSC since my first meeting in Kansas City back in 1996, and continue to be an advocate for membership and bringing new folks on board.
Now, let's review some things (again from my own perspective), much of which has been iterated before:
- Yes, there is tremendous knowledge, passion, and work going on in ARSC, from everywhere. I am surprised we don't crow this from the rooftops of every AES or IASA meeting. Lots of exciting things.
- The ARSCList needs to be a little better managing its message subject headings. That has been said, and I think that's a great start. We all could use that reminder.
- Mention has been made that the ARSCist is not all that cantankerous, but I would beg to differ. Those of us used to monitoring library and archives lists don't have to wade through personal invective (directed toward "us" or toward others), BELLOWING ALL IN CAPS, severe doubts as to the evidence of our listening skills, snarky asides as to the supposed intelligence about and love for our work, sweeping statements about what we think and what we do and the "alleged" concerns we have expressed.
- I have not heard one person on this list stop and say, Wait a minute. Is there something here besides division? Is there some way *I* can reach out to the ARSCLib people to try to bridge whatever might be at issue?
- Truly, this ARSCLib listerv was not meant to stir such feelings of division or betrayal. We just wanted a "safe place" to do our ARSC biz.
And yes, looking forward to seeing *everyone* in Bloomington.
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - Wendy Sistrunk, Librarian III Head, Special Formats Metadata Management & Discovery Services University of Missouri--Kansas City Miller Nichols Library, 5100 Rockhill Road Kansas City, MO 64110-2499
phone: (816) 235-5291 fax: (816) 333-5584 [log in to unmask] http://s.web.umkc.edu/sistrunkw/
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = - = -