Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  April 2016

ARSCLIB April 2016

Re: [ARSCLIST] AW: [ARSCLIST] AN OPEN LETTER TO ARSC MEMBERSHIP

Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Apr 2016 07:28:57 -0700

(David, your email is set for reply to you and not the list!)

Othering as a concept and action was first brought to my attention involving the Japanese in the 1940s. Many posrters and such were made showing the evil japs to foster hatred of “the enemy” - this has ben going on for millennia.

The term may be fairly newish but the concept and actions have been with us a long long time.

Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Inventions did a song called “We are the Other People” whose refrain included the line “You’re the other people too!” which pretty much sums up the difference between us and them - we are both other people:

Do it again!
Do it again!

We are the other people
We are the other people
You're the other people too
Found a way to get to you...
Do you think that I'm crazy?
Out of my mind?
Do you think that I creep in the night
And sleep in a phone booth?
Lemme take a minute & tell you my plan
Lemme take a minute & tell who I am
If it doesn't show
Think you better know
I'm another person
Do you think that my pants are too tight
Do you think that I'm creepy?
Lemme take a minute & tell you my plan
Lemme take a minute & tell who I am
If it doesn't show
Think you better know
I'm another person (the verse that really
Goes here has been censored out &
Recorded backwards in a special section
At the end of side one...)
We are the other people