ARSCLIB May 2016

question regarding archive planning

Wayne Vitale <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 May 2016 10:12:16 -0700

Dear List,

I'm looking for advice and references regarding my personal collection of
recordings. I'm Not Old (see chart below), but would like to start thinking
long range about where this collection can end up when I reach the Seventh
Age.

*The Seven Ages of Humans*
Not Old Enough to Know Better
Old Enough to Know Better
Not Old Enough
Old Enough
Not Old
Old
Not

My collection is focused exclusively and deeply on the music of Bali,
Indonesia, where I've lived about seven years of my life, mostly in a few
long chunks over the past 35 years. I bought a DAT machine at the moment
they became "legal" in 1991 – you might recall that this took an act of
Congress – along with two high-quality ribbon mics, and promptly left to
Bali for my first 2.5 year stay, supported by an NEH grant.

And I recorded like the dickens: performances in multiple contexts (e.g. at
temple festivals, in gamelan competitions before crowds of 6000 people),
arranged sessions, lessons, interviews, and more. This yielded hundreds of
hours of high-quality recordings, by musicians that play on a level that
can only be described as world-class.

Later, armed with a solid-state recorder, I continued this documentation in
several mulit-month stays. With more to come, no doubt.

I've released a few of the best recordings on my label, Vital Records (
vitalrecords.ws). But the vast majority are simply part of my personal
library, living mostly undisturbed as digital bits and bytes on hard
drives. Almost all were made with explicit agreements with the musicians
not to publish the recordings – they were truly intended for personal
enjoyment and research. (The released versions were accompanied, of course,
by agreements with the artists.)

Anyhow, someday I'd love to gaze down from heaven (or upwards from an
undisclosed location) on this collection as it sits at a university
library, or some other archive, and brings pleasure and knowledge to many
people. It's filled with gems, actual (just plain great music) and/or
historical (lost styles, disbanded ensembles).

Any ideas about where to start, in terms of planning? I have the luxury of
time, presumably, to figure this out – that is, unless I get a sudden Quick
Pass to Age Seven.

Gratefully,
Wayne Vitale

PS. I like Zappa too.