BIBFRAME May 2016

Re: Series in BIBFRAME 2.0

Adrian Pohl <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 31 May 2016 21:02:26 +0200

Am 31.05.2016 um 16:55 schrieb Joseph Kiegel:
> The treatment of series information in BIBFRAME 2.0 is a significant
> improvement over 1.0.  It provides for transcription of series and
> subseries in a straightforward way.
>
> However, one problem remains:  how to handle multiple series and to keep
> associated series statements and enumerations together.  For example,
> take these series, which appear on a book:
>
> International archives of photogrammetry and remote sensing, 0256-1840 ;
> v. 30, pt. 3 = Internationales Archiv der Photogrammetrie und
> Fernerkundung ; Bd. 30, Teil 3
>
> SPIE proceedings series, 0277-786X ; v. 2357
>
> In 2.0, this becomes:
>
> < Instance> bf:seriesStatement “International archives of photogrammetry
> and remote sensing, 0256-1840 = Internationales Archiv der
> Photogrammetrie und Fernerkundung” ;
>
>                 bf:seriesStatement “SPIE proceedings series, 0277-786X” ;
>
>                 bf:seriesEnumeration “v. 30, pt. 3 = Bd. 30, Teil 3”  ;
>
>                 bf:seriesEnumeration “v. 2357” .
>
> Unfortunately, there is no way to associate each of the
> bf:seriesEnumeration properties with its corresponding
> bf:seriesStatement in a way that machines understand.
>
> A possible solution is to introduce, for example, a class Series and a
> property bf:series, which would be used with Work or Instance and expect
> Series.  The existing properties bf:seriesStatement,
> bf:seriesEnumeration, bf:subseriesStatement, and bf:subseriesEnumeration
> would be used with Series and expect Literal.
>
> The example would look like this:
>
> < Instance> bf:series [ a bf:Series ;
>
>                                bf:seriesStatement “International
> archives of photogrammetry and remote sensing, 0256-1840 =
> Internationales Archiv der Photogrammetrie und Fernerkundung”  ;
>
>                                bf:seriesEnumeration “v. 30, pt. 3 = Bd.
> 30, Teil 3” ] ;
>
>                 bf:series [ a bf:Series ;
>
>                                bf:seriesStatement “SPIE proceedings
> series, 0277-786X” ;
>
>                                bf:seriesEnumeration “v. 2357” ] .
>
> Multiple subseries would be handled in the same way, with
> bf:subseriesStatement and bf:subseriesEnumeration used in place of
> bf:seriesStatement and bf:seriesEnumeration.

Some time ago we encountered a very similar problem in our Linked Open
Data service lobid.org with the difference that we have the
Zeitschriftendatenbank (serials database, kind of a collectively
maintained authority file for series and journals) in Germany that for
some time now provides URIs and RDF descriptions for the series. As we
can easily create from our data the HTTP URIs to make it _linked_ data
we don't need something like bf:seriesStatement.

Modeling this in RDF, we chose a quite similar approach to the one
above. As there was no vocabulary available to associate a in-series
relation with the volume information, we rolled our own. The example
would look something like this:

@prefix lv: <http://purl.org/lobid/lv#> .

<Instance> lv:inSeries [
         a lv:SeriesRelation ;
         lv:series <http://ld.zdb-services.de/resource/1110794-7> ;
         lv:numbering "v. 30, pt. 3 = Bd. 30, Teil 3" ] ;
     lv:inSeries [
         a lv:SeriesRelation ;
         lv:series <http://ld.zdb-services.de/resource/2082308-3> ;
         lv:numbering "v. 2357" ] .

Note that the bnode entity rather is a _relation_ (lv:SeriesRelation) of
an instance to a series and is not itself a series.

As we also have multi-volume works and the associated volumes as
separate entries in our catalogs we use the same approach for
multi-volume works (with properties lv:volumeIn, lv:multiVolumeWork,
lv:numbering and type lv:MultiVolumeWorkRelation).

As we are contemplating using Bibframe for our linked data in the future
we would be happy if Bibframe enabled associating in-series and
multi-volume-work relations with the respective volume information.

Adrian