Help for PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST Archives

PCCLIST@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

PCCLIST Home

PCCLIST  May 2016

PCCLIST May 2016

ALA Annual 2016: ALCTS CaMMS Cataloging Norms IG Program (Hyatt, Florida Ballroom C, Saturday 10:30-11:30 AM)

Robert Rohrbacher <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 9 May 2016 16:36:20 -0700

---Apologies for cross-posting---

The Cataloging Norms Interest Group will meet in the Hyatt Regency
Orlando, Florida Ballroom C, 10:30-11:30 AM, on Saturday, June 25. The
meeting will include the following two presentations:

1) Fearless Transformation: Applying OpenRefine to Digital Collections /
Kara Long, Cataloging and Metadata Librarian, Baylor University Libraries

The Baylor University Library launched its first digitization project in
1999, with the Spencer Collection of American Popular Sheet Music. The
first phase of the project was to scan and place online 1,000 pieces of
music, out of the nearly 30,000 pieces in the print collection. The
digital collection now comprises over 8,000 titles of American sheet
music from the 18th to the 20th centuries. A major challenge throughout
the project has been generating rich metadata for the digital objects,
and to coordinate this effort between the Fine Arts Library, the Digital
Projects Team, and the Cataloging and Metadata Unit of Baylor
University. In 2008, the Library contracted with Flourish Music
Cataloging to provide outsource the creation of MARC records describing
the print collection. These records are transformed into metadata
describing the digital collection as well.

This presentation will cover the evolving metadata workflow, and
demonstrate the most recent change – implementing OpenRefine to quality
check, and transform metadata from MARC to Dublin Core. This transformed
metadata is used to generate a metadata load file for CONTENTdm, our
digital collections platform. This presentation will interest cataloging
and metadata librarians, especially those interested in OpenRefine, and
those interested in metadata creation in a hybrid environments or
collections.

2) BIBFRAME Pilot Training / Judith P. Cannan, Chief, Cooperative &
Instructional Programs and Paul Frank, Acting Coordinator, NACO and SACO
Programs, Library of Congress

This presentation is a concise analysis of the training plan and results
based on the LC BIBFRAME Pilot Phase one. It will explain what LC was
trying to measure when it conducted the first BIBRAME pilot and what it
was not trying to measure. It will cover the initial workflow and how it
changed through the course of the pilot as improvements to the system
became functional. How we developed the training and what we learned
during the course of the pilot about the training needs of the pilot
participants. Finally we will cover what we learned and how that
measured against the outcomes we were seeking.

The LC BIBFRAME Pilot ran from October 2015 through March 2016.
We will describe the:
     --conditions under which the pilot functioned
     --limitations and why we proceeded when we did
     --changes in workflow as the Pilot proceeded
     --initial training provided to participants
     --follow-up meetings that lead to refresher training
     --refresher training
     --lessons learned
     --best practices

Susan Matveyeva and Robert Rohrbacher, Co-Chairs, Cataloging Norms IG
--
Robert J. Rohrbacher
Metadata Librarian for Social Sciences and Government Documents