ARSCLIST  June 2016

ARSCLIST June 2016

Re: Does anyone (has anyone ever) conducted Tchaikovsky like Koussevitzky?

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 7 Jun 2016 17:41:21 -0400

You want an unusual, somewhat wild 1812? Try Alexander Kitchin, Berlin Phil
and the Ural Cossacks' Choir.  DGG 95054/5.   The chorus sings the intro as
well as the Tsarist hymn.  The transition to the finale is a bit faster than
my comfort level but they had to leave groove room on side 4 for the heavy
brass to make an impact.  The cymbals have some shimmer and there's a pretty
thumpy but not exaggerated bass drum.  Good but not slick string sound.
Reasonable dynamic range for 1928.  Plays a bit under 78.  76.5 or so.  A
well planned, well executed example of that year's technology by the DGG
recording team.

Steve Smolian

Steve Smolian