Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  July 2016

ARSCLIB July 2016

Radio Preservation Task Force - Metadata Entry and Collection Search Initiatives

Josh Shepperd <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 21 Jul 2016 16:27:23 -0400

Dear Colleagues -

Please excuse the cross-post. I write with two invitations to participate
with the Library of Congress's Radio Preservation Task Force project
<https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-recording-preservation-plan/about-this-program/radio-preservation-task-force/>
.

The RPTF is developing a national database with ARSC to identify, map, and
make searchable information regarding historical radio broadcasts. We are
interested in learning more about recordings held by private collectors and
any organization holding such materials. ARSC member (and RPTF Co-Metadata
Director) William Vanden Dries at Indiana University has created an online
form to gather this information. Participation is simple and easy.

If you have more than one collection with radio recordings or radio-related
materials, please fill out the form separately for each collection. We will
keep your name private if requested, and at no point will we ask for your
materials. Our goal is to comprehensively canvass the extant recordings of
radio history.

The form can be found at:
http://goo.gl/forms/JVSXvFOpQQhunEH93

Second, we invite all ARSC members to participate in this project to locate
and preserve our radio heritage. If you have any questions about
participating with our canvass work, they can be directed to RPTF Network
Co-Director Neil Verma at [log in to unmask] There are many ways
to contribute and your participation can be scaled to your convenience.

For general questions about the RPTF please feel welcome to contact me
directly at this email address. I also post regular updates about the
project's progress at the RPTF page at Facebook
<https://www.facebook.com/groups/radiopreservation/>. Thank you very much
for your questions in Bloomington. This project
<https://www.loc.gov/programs/national-recording-preservation-plan/about-this-program/radio-preservation-task-force/>
cannot succeed without the participation and close consultation of the ARSC
community.

Best,

Josh Shepperd
Director - Radio Preservation Task Force
National Recording Preservation Board, Library of Congress

Asst. Professor of Media & Communication
Catholic University, Washington D.C.