ARSCLIB July 2016

Re: Dealing with VHS Recordings

"Paul T. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jul 2016 18:45:20 -0700

  A lot of what various libraries do with VHS depends on checking out
your function; are you an archive or are you there for the students. If
your program at a college is to help students, then digitizing what's
not available would be the route to take. Libraries are allowed to
backup materials otherwise unavailable.

Finding players for VHS which work may be getting harder, but I've seen
many of them in many places; eBay, Craigslist, etc.

The old video discs; those things which were manufactured for a very
short time around 1982-5 or so, might be another thing; a job for
archivists. I haven't run across those machines at all...although our
company used them from time to time to show our training software at
exhibitions. And there were only two companies doing training video
discs around 1980, and by 82 there were at least 10. Several in the
Champaign, Illinois area.

--

Paul T. Jackson

*Trescott**Research*