ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  July 2016

ARSCLIB July 2016

Re: Dealing with VHS Recordings

Kathleen DeLaurenti <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 Jul 2016 18:35:11 -0400

Hi Randye -

In our library, like UC Boulder, we've relied on the ARL code for best
practices to migrate at risk VHS where 108 didn't apply because of the
requirement for a format to be obsolete.
http://policynotes.arl.org/?p=213

Now that VHS players will no longer be manufactured, it does seem to mean
that they will meet the requirements of an obsolete format to take explicit
advantage of sec 108 exemptions.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the copyright office NOI on
108 that is currently in process. I'll be looking forward to seeing how
ARSC's meeting goes - there should be an update on MLA's meeting with the
office available soon.

Best,

Kathleen DeLaurenti
College of William & Mary