Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  July 2016

ARSCLIB July 2016

Urgent consult needed for grant proposal, please

Jacob Rekedal <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Jul 2016 18:30:42 -0400

Dear Colleagues,
I’m an ethnomusicologist, not an archivist, although I find archives and archival work fascinating. Would someone be willing to answer some questions offline, or even answer a quick phone call from me?

The situation is the following:
I’ve been preparing a grant application for some time, and the final due date is next Thursday (Aug. 4). Roughly a week ago I learned about a pretty collection of photos and videos of material extremely relevant to my research, all housed at a well known museum in the city where I live, which is at the center of the region where I do fieldwork. It turns out that organizing this material and constructing an archive out of it would be a fascinating dimension of my proposed project, and might also be a service to society, so to speak, because it could lead to presentations and exhibits at the museum, as well as opportunities to return the original material to the people who appeared in it. I have the impression that some of the videos (VHS) date back to the 80s.

For the grant application, I could use some advice on the following items:
-technical language to use in this context
-concrete steps I could propose (classify, order, digitize… what am I missing? there must be a lot more)
-technical skills and required equipment for digitizing; I’ve done this before with audio, but not video; the grant would have budget for software & equipment, but I’m not clear as to the best choices
-ideas about linking this archive with other archives, for the sake of relevance, circulation, etc.
-reflections on the relationship between ethnographic and archival research, doing ethnography of/in archives, or while constructing archives, etc.

If anyone out there would be willing to offer some advice, I’d be very thankful. I suppose you could also reply to the whole list, but offline we could get into more details, I think.

Sincerely,
Jacob

Jacob Rekedal, Ph.D.
Profesor Visitante, Universidad Alberto Hurtado
Chile Liaison Officer, ICTM