ARSCLIST  July 2016

ARSCLIST July 2016

Re: Majestic - Mercury connection ??

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 24 Jul 2016 09:28:46 -0400

Thomas,

When Majestic went into bankruptcy in early 1948, Mercury bought the
catalog. While much of Majestic's studio recording was based in New York
City, the home office for the record company was in Chicago. Mercury
reissued most of what Majestic had put out in one form or another. In
mid-1949 Eli Oberstein bought a large number of Majestic masters from
Mercury to fuel his various lines of budget material, though Mercury didn't
let go of some things; all of the Eddy Howard, the children's and
soundtrack related material, for example. My article in ARSC Journal 44:1,
"The Mighty Monarch of the Air: A Short History of the Short Life of
Majestic Records" explains it further. You can find that on the Journal
site; look under "Publications."

Thanks for the name Gordon Burdge; I didn't have that. From what little I
know the LA Majestic plant, once headed by Paul Baron, was little affected
by the bankruptcy and that the whole run of Majestics on that label were
new masters made there. I'm not even sure that they were free and clear
with the trademark, but the series ended in 1950, coincidentally when
Leonard Ashbach bought out Majestic's radio and television manufacturing
arm, which may have had something to do with it's end. Just a thought.

Hope this helps,

David N. Lewis
Culpeper VA