Help for ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  August 2016

ARSCLIB August 2016

Pacifica Radio Archives' "American Women" project completed

Jolene Beiser <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 26 Aug 2016 16:27:38 -0700

**Please excuse cross-posting***

Dear colleagues,

The Pacifica Radio Archives are pleased to announce that our NHPRC funded
project, *American Women Making History and Culture: 1963-1982*
<http://www.pacificaradioarchives.org/nhprc1/home>*,* was recently
completed! This digital preservation and access project provides free
streaming access to over 2,000 radio broadcast recordings related to women
and the American Women's movement as produced and/or broadcast on Pacifica
radio stations. We digitized 1,699 reel-to-reel audio tapes, updated 2,024
description records in our public access database
<http://www.pacificaradioarchives.org/browse_collections>, created an
item-level finding aid available at the Online Archive of California
<http://oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c83f4v6g/>, and made streams
freely available to researchers and the public available at the UC Berkeley
Library
<http://oskicat.berkeley.edu/search%7ES1?/sAmerican+women+making+history+and+culture./samerican+women+making+history+and+culture/-3%2C-1%2C0%2CB/exact&FF=samerican+women+making+history+and+culture&1%2C1656%2C>
and the Internet Archive
<https://archive.org/details/Pacifica_radio_archives_NHPRC1_American>.

A processing manual to serve future digital preservation and access
projects has also been made available HERE
<http://www.pacificaradioarchives.org/sites/default/files/images/grant_project_processing_manual_20160506_1.pdf>
.

Highlights include speeches by and interviews with leaders of the Women's
movement such as Aileen Hernandez
<https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-AZ1669>, Charlotte
Bunch <https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-AZ0631.01>,  Gloria
Steinem, <https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-BC1298>
and Angela
Davis <https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-BC1833>;
programs on reproductive rights activism: Abortion and the law
<https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-BB0574> (1962), Feminist
forum: women's national abortion action coalition / Barbara Roberts
<https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-BC0871> (1969), and
the docudrama Margaret Sanger and Annie Besant: a woman's right
<https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-AZ0471.07> (1979);
interviews with women activists such as Fannie Lou Hamer
<https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-BB1407>, Dolores Huerta
<https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-BB2423>, and Bettina
Aptheker <https://archive.org/details/pacifica_radio_archives-BB1280>; and
(of special interest to archivists) series on Women's history
including Forgotten
Women in American History / Gerda Lerner
<https://archive.org/search.php?query=contributor%3A%22Gerda+Lerner%2C+Speaker%22>,
and The American Woman
<https://archive.org/search.php?query=contributor%3A%22Virginia+Maynard%2C+Producer%3B+Charles+Levy%2C+Producer%3B+David+Talcott%2C+Engineer%22>,
and Great women (produced by Joanna Brouk
<https://archive.org/search.php?query=produced%20by%20joanna%20brouk>
and Darcell
King <https://archive.org/search.php?query=produced%20by%20darcell%20king>).

We would like to thank the National Historical Publications and Records
Commission for their generous funding, and our partners the UC Berkeley
Library, the Internet Archive, and George Blood L.P. for their help with
this project. Please spread word of the collection to your colleagues,
students and faculty, and please contact myself or the Archives if you are
searching for something in particular. We would be glad to assist in your
research.

--
Jolene M. Beiser, MA, MLIS
Archivist, Pacifica Radio Archives