BIBFRAME August 2016

Re: Life after MARC?

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:10:48 -0700

At least some state libraries gather statistics that include
circulation, and circulation by type of material. I just checked the
California stats [1], but they don't seem to include e-circ. I do recall
some public librarians saying that they don't get good stats from
journal vendors, and I have no idea if they do get stats from folks like
Overdrive. In any case, detailed public library stats are available for
some segment of library activities, and I wanted to alert you to them
because they are very handy for countering ignorant statements like
"Nobody uses libraries anymore/nobody reads anymore/libraries don't need
to provide computers." I warn you though, that a longitudinal comparison
of funding vs. circ will ruin your day.

kc

[1] http://www.library.ca.gov/lds/librarystats.html

--