ARSCLIST  January 2017

ARSCLIST January 2017

Fwd: [ARSCLIST] [78-L] GALA 78rpm reissues on 10-inch LP

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Jan 2017 15:45:11 -0500

Thomas Stern wrote:

In addition there is a 10" MONARCH Lp of Dwight Fiske - is this a product of
GALA, or independent, licensed or pirate ??  What else was on Monarch ??

Thomas,

Sorry to get back to you so late on this. Monarch was a label run out of
Linden, New Jersey by Joe Leibowitz (or "Liebowitz;" you see both
spellings), formerly of DeLuxe. In 1953 he was part of the team behind
Wallis Original, and also running Monarch. It disappeared in the mid-50s,
but reappeared briefly in 1957. Monarch handled an odd mix of adult comedy,
doo wop and children's records. The content of the Dwight Fiske LP that you
listed suggests sourcing from Gala, which went bankrupt around 1953. But
two of the pieces only appeared otherwise on Fiske's lone Jubilee LP,
"Songs His Mother Never Taught Him," recorded by George L. Bard in 1952 but
not issued until 1955. So it is just as possible that the material came
from Bard's session, and if the Monarch were a later release, that would be
more likely. Without hearing it I would not know the answer.

Happy New Year!

David N. Lewis
Sperryville, VA