ARSCLIST  February 2017

ARSCLIST February 2017

position available: Sound Archivist at Bowling Green State University

Susannah Lyn Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Feb 2017 18:41:20 +0000

Greetings,

As I hope most of you have heard by now, Bill Schurk retired from his position as Sound Recordings Archivist at BGSU at the end of December after founding the archives in 1967 and serving as Archivist for 49.5 years. We were able to honor his legacy by renaming the collection in his name: we're now the Music Library and Bill Schurk Sound Archives. Fortunately, we still get to see Bill periodically, and now we are able to hire a new Sound Archivist to carry on his work.

For details about the position and a link to submit application materials, please see this link: http://bgsu.hiretouch.com/job-details?jobID=4603&job=assistant-professor-sound-archivist-archival-collections-branches. I'm copying the description below, too.

This position is a tenure-track faculty position that is also represented by the BGSU chapter of American Association of University Professors. The current Collective Bargaining Agreement, which includes more detailed compensation information, is available from our Provost's site at: http://www.bgsu.edu/provost/faculty-affairs/collective-bargaining-agreement.html

Interested candidates who might be attending the upcoming meeting of the Music Library Association in Orlando are welcome to contact Patty Falk ([log in to unmask]) or me ([log in to unmask]) if you'd like to get together there to ask questions about the position, the archives, or BGSU. Otherwise, please feel free to send me any questions you might have.

All my best,

Susannah

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Susannah Cleveland
Head, Music Library and Bill Schurk Sound Archives
Chair, Archival Collections and Branches
Bowling Green State University
Jerome Library, 3rd Floor
Bowling Green, OH  43403-0170
419-372-9929
[log in to unmask]<https://mail.bgsu.edu/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

Assistant Professor - Sound Archivist - Archival Collections & Branches
Category: Faculty
Campus: BGSU Main Campus
Opened Date: 02/02/2017
Closing Date: 03/03/2017
Pay Grade: Salary commensurate with education & experience
Position Summary:

Bowling Green State University Libraries seek an energetic, collaborative, and user-focused archivist with a passion for popular music to serve as the Sound Archivist for the Music Library and Bill Schurk Sound Archives (ML/BSSA). This is a tenure-track position with rank of Assistant Professor. The Archivist will work with sound recordings and popular music collections, with an emphasis on supporting and achieving strategic initiatives for the unit.

Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities:

Reporting to the Chair of the Archival Collections and Branches Department, the Sound Archivist is responsible for providing access to materials in the Bill Schurk Sound Archives. This includes preservation of sound recordings—including the production and management of digital surrogates when appropriate—and formal description of collections, including the creation of traditional catalog records and finding aids. The Archivist will also: assist with assessing gifts for acquisition; participate in outreach and instruction activities related to the collection, popular music, and the recording industry; participate in the day-to-day operations of the ML/BSSA, including service on the music library’s reference desk; and participate actively in library governance.

Bowling Green State University Libraries are committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive environment.  In support of an open and welcoming environment, we believe that it is critical for every member of the library community to share the responsibility for equity and diversity.

Minimum Qualifications:

Minimum qualifications: ALA-accredited Master’s degree and strong knowledge technology, archival standards, and best practices as they apply to audio and related digital formats. Competitive salary in keeping with peer institution libraries for rank and candidate’s experience and credentials.

• ALA-Accredited MLS
• Demonstrated knowledge of technology, archival standards, and best practices as they apply to audio and related digital formats
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Interest in and knowledge of popular music and the sound recording industry
• Evidence of potential to complete scholarship in peer-reviewed publications and give presentations at academic and professional associations

Preferred Qualifications
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace
• Experience with cataloging and/or finding aid creation in a library or archival setting
• Experience working in an academic library
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in music, popular culture, or related field
• Interest in and experience with Digital Humanities
• Successful grant-writing experience

Additional Information:

This position is available beginning July 1, 2017.  BGSU. Final candidate(s) are required to authorize & pass a background investigation prior to an offer of employment. BGSU is an AA/EO institution.

Degree Type:
Masters
Job Type:
Fiscal Year