ARSCLIB Archives

ARSCLIB@LISTSERV.LOC.GOV

ARSCLIB Home

ARSCLIB  March 2017

ARSCLIB March 2017

Re: A/V preservation jobs

"Feustle, Maristella" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:02:40 +0000

I think there are two potential contributing factors. One may be that this vitally important work is only being seen on a project basis and not as a longer-term institutional investment.

Another, however, is the ability or lack thereof to add new full-time lines when everyone is competing for pieces of a pie that's not getting bigger, with the occasional hiring freeze to boot. Adding a full-time preservationist may come at the price of giving up another position. I believe my own current position was created in exchange for three graduate assistantships that the department had to give up. On the bright side, I can still occasionally can introduce myself with "Hi, I'm three graduate assistants!"

It can be done, but there has to be a lot of institutional/political will to make it a priority among everyone else's priorities.

Maristella