ARSCLIB March 2017

Re: A/V preservation jobs

Paul Jackson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:40:55 -0700

see comments to yours below:

On 3/23/2017 11:35 AM, Nathan Coy wrote:
> "This is part of the new GIG economy"
>
> But if it's just the gig economy part, why are many other library field
> positions not showing this trend as acutely?Is it a management decision?
> It that librarian positions tend to have stronger organized labor
> representation?
                 It is a management decision.
                 There are certain "Standards" expected of libraries,
especially academic, prison, and perhaps public; Many grants are funded
ONLY to entities which have met the standards. Few if any standards for
Special Libraries (mostly corporate,) although Medical and Law libraries
have pretty stringent standards.

> "Many of these grants, depended upon by libraries and museums, may go away
> if Trump and the Republicans have their way with the budget request."
>
> Libraries only seem to depend on many of these grants in certain areas,
> such as technology and archival work. If they go away does that mean
> libraries will be forced to broaden their positions for line items beyond
> certain areas? Or will these jobs just not get done? or combination of
> both? If this does come to pass people deciding budgets will have to make
> these decisions and what does that mean for this work? Not enviable
> positions to be in for sure.
                 '...depend...in certain areas.'
                         This is usually because the grants available
are only for certain areas.
                         I can't speculate on what happens without
grants; I would expect a lot of things just won't happen until there is
extra funding from other sources.
                         Lots of people in business think non-profits
should basically run on their own without help from outside.
                         Even good libraries and museums have lost
funding from their communities at times.