ARSCLIST  May 2017

ARSCLIST May 2017

Re: Mary Howard Recordings

David Lewis <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 16 May 2017 07:54:21 -0400

Thomas,

It is important to make the distinction between Mary Howard's short-lived
commercial label and her activity as a studio engineer for hire. Several of
the recordings in the latter part of this list, including Ives, Cowell,
Claflin etc., are either studio sessions for hire or are airchecks, same
purpose. Although the Ives recordings have been commercially issued three
times they were never intended as such. McPhee's "Balinese Nocturne" is
from radio; I've heard it. Numbers like "LT-10 7236" are internal NYPL
shelf numbers and do not represent actual releases; these are one-off
lacquer discs.

UD