BIBFRAME May 2017

Re: BIBFRAME: Once in a Library

Karen Coyle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 9 May 2017 12:43:45 -0700

In relation to the question: How did I get here? - I've been researching
the history of RDF in the bibliographic space. I don't have what feels
like an unbroken chain of events, but it appears that the development of
FRBR as a model was instrumental. FRBR introduced entity-relation
concepts from the '80's and '90's computer technology; RDF ('90's) was
building on the Object-Oriented and E-R data models, which already were
modeled on things and relationships between things. FRBR looks much more
like OO and RDF than anything that came before it in the bibliographic
description world (MARC, its variants, and ISBD). And of course FRBR
informed RDA, so entities and relationships are now built into the
cataloging rules themselves.

I'll write up what I have as a blog post, mainly as a way of chronicling
what I have so far. An interesting question is what models we would be
contemplating if FRBR hadn't happened. MARC -> RDF, without the E-R
concepts, is much less obvious a transition than MARC -> FRBR -> RDF.

What I see as key is that the perception that RDF (RDA in RDF and
BIBFRAME) has come from the library technology community may not be the
case. The E-R model of FRBR came directly from the IFLA Cataloguing
section, and in fact with RDA the cataloging rules embraced E-R before
library technology did (esp. since we aren't there yet in terms of
technology). My take is that bibliographic data in RDF is a response to
the FRBR model, and comes into the library world through cataloging
requirements. I'll try to lay that out in the blog post.

kc

--
Karen Coyle
[log in to unmask] http://kcoyle.net