ARSCLIST  June 2017

ARSCLIST June 2017

Re: Presentation in Ann Arbor / Detroit

Paul Jackson <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Jun 2017 17:37:45 -0700

Nice the hear from someone in A2.

Back in the 50s, I worked at WUOM-FM cataloging the Diamond collection
of 78's we only got through 1100 items before I was done with my masters
in Library Science. Due to my work on a bibliography of recorded sound,
organizing the meetings leading up to the first 1965 steering meeting at
the Ford Museum (resulting in 1966 founding of ARSC) as well as working
under Kurtz Myers at the Detroit Public Library (DPL) as pre-pro, while
in school, I was tapped to help open the Lincoln Center, Rodgers and
Hammerstein Archives of Recorded Sound, NY as my first job. Quite a bit
later I opened the Oakland University Performing Arts Library (PAL) --
unfortunately it was returned to the main library years later after the
School of Performing Arts was disbanded. In the early 70s I also worked
with Berry Gordy's sister on saving materials for their Motown
archive/museum when they were dumping things for moving to LA.

My thoughts are, that if you are looking for or interested in doing work
in recorded sound, you might want to look and inquire at WUOM-FM or the
UM School of Music. Michigan State also has/had a large collection of
recordings; mostly tapes [I believe the Vincent oral history WWII
broadcast tapes are part of this now.] Motown has their archive. It
wouldn't hurt to check in with any of these to learn what's going on in
the area. Ask for their thoughts and suggestions. There were several
major collections in Grand Rapids; friends/colleagues of mine (both men
died--I don't know what happened to their collections.) Ohio and Indiana
have major sound archives (see ARSC directory). I'm not up on what's
going on now with DPL collections; major collection of LPs (Kurtz was
author/compiler of /Record Ratings/ for years with the Music Library
Association.) DPL also has a large collection on Black performers; the
Hackley archive.
http://www.detroitpubliclibrary.org/featuredcollection/e-azalia-hackley-collection

Anyway--if you want to work in the field, you should just start by
contacting the major players in the areas; there are at least 7 major
archives in the 3 state area (MI, OH, IN,) including Film; both at
Dearborn Public, and Ford Museum (has films, recordings, and other
media.) Jim Limbacker was the film guru at Dearborn--long deceased, but
I suspect the film archive/program still exists somewhere in Michigan,
if not at the library. Get yourself known to them, so when they hear of
something they can either contact you or recommend those looking to talk
with you. Start your own regional directory of newer
collectors/collection (people who are not in the ARSC directory) to pass
around--this will get your name out there rather quickly.

The Michigan Arts Festivals are places to meet up with archivists as well.
Paul