ARSCLIST  June 2017

ARSCLIST June 2017

Re: Presentation in Ann Arbor / Detroit

"Graves, Tressa M." <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 Jun 2017 14:16:35 +0000

It's great to hear of other people interested in AV in the Michigan and Ohio area. I'm originally from Michigan and have done most of my AV archiving experience there as an undergrad and graduate student (2012-2015). I was in the similar boat 5 years ago and ended up going to Alaska Film Archives at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks for my initial AV internship before I was able to find projects in Michigan. Disclaimer, most of my knowledge of the area is related to moving images and not audio.

Michigan has its own archival organization, Michigan Archival Association (MAA), and last week was their yearly conference. While it was up in Traverse City, there were panels focused on AV. https://miarchivists.wordpress.com/ I don't know when it will be in the Ann Arbor/Metro Detroit area again but it's something to look out for if you're interested.

A little far for you but Central Michigan University has been working on a film preservation project for many years and about to wrap up. They hope to focus on more of their magnetic media soon. The person to contact about AV materials at CMU is Marian Matyn ([log in to unmask]).

The person who focused on AV materials at the Michigan State University Archives & Historical Collections is Matthew Wilcox ([log in to unmask]). The university archive there has a lot of film and video and Matthew is a whiz on video.

The Gerald R. Ford Presidential Library in Ann Arbor has an AV collection and an AV Archivist, Elizabeth Druga ([log in to unmask]).

Some other places to check out besides UoM are the Historical Society of Michigan (Lansing) and Wayne State University (Detroit). There may also be something in Toledo. WYSO in the Dayton area has a large digital and analog collection of their materials (http://wyso.org/archives). Here at Ohio State, we're starting a two year project to assess AV materials in the various library units. Not directly related to an institution, the American Archive of Public Broadcasting has their transcription game, Fix It, and gives you the ability focus on materials from WIAA (Interlochen) and WKAR (Lansing). http://www.wgbh.org/press/press_release.cfm?pid=7488CEAB-5056-0403-6735-70208B5BADED.

Let me know how your search goes!
Tressa

Tressa Graves, MLIS | AV Assessment & Process Assistant
The Ohio State University Libraries | Libraries Tech Center
1165 Kinnear Road, Columbus, OH 43212