ARSCLIST  July 2017

ARSCLIST July 2017

Re: Seeking flutter correction bids

Steven Smolian <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 13 Jul 2017 10:30:17 -0400

As I recall, it's possible to limit the range of what Capstan works on to
the 60 cycle area so if the hum is distinctive enough (or can be made so),
then it should correct to a regular sine wave.  It's less than super
accurate but deals with gross errors with practice.  It worked well on
somewhat off-center piano records but this was a while ago.  I've not had
the occasion to sue it in some years.  Perhaps they've improved their hum
discrimination program subsequently.

I just found the dongle, so I may upgrade and try it again when time allows.

Steve Smolian

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jamie Howarth
Sent: Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:19 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Seeking flutter correction bids

Flutter - as defined by the NAB - is in a range that Capstan is
intentionally band-limited out of since it's  incapable of distinguishing
flutter from vibrato.

Please pardon the mispellings and occassional insane word substitution I'm
on an iPhone