ARSCLIST  July 2017

ARSCLIST July 2017

Re: Vinyl Sales DOWN - why? See interesting WSJ article today

Lou Judson <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 24 Jul 2017 19:26:17 -0700

John, you are expressing a very valid point of view. However, the new younger artists who want to be able to brag about their “Vinyl” Lp release are using it for cache, not sonic excellence, and some I know are rockabilly style musicians who just think it is cool to be retro.

Examples - and I do not expect any of these to be of musical interest to this list:
This young woman does a great show, and writes excellent songs in a vintage style that remains current in the folk/pop scene:
<http://www.eilenjewell.com> <http://eilenjewell.spinshop.com/Home/details/244223>

And this very young New Orleans bordello style singer:
<http://www.carsieblanton.com> only her Lp is sold out at the moment: <http://store.carsieblanton.com/album/so-ferocious>
(the clever if crude cover takes the red part away when you pull the record out … leaving the rest to your imagination)

Notice how they almost always include a download with the Lp so people don’t even have to play it, they can just download the music, and display the 12” art.

Just noticing, and trying to make the point that many people are not putting out Lps for their sound, but for their merchandising and “in club” or “hipster” aspects.

I know a band that plays 30s jazz who put out a 78 - a microgroove Lp but at 78 RPM. Quirky, but they sold it out too.

Whatever the market will bear can bear fruit$.

<L>
Lou Judson
Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689