DATETIME July 2017

Re: EDTF - draft specification

"Denenberg, Ray" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 31 Jul 2017 13:29:14 +0000

Hi Vicky -

Here is a brief summary of the status of EDTF.

It has indeed gone to ISO for standardization (in fact that process began formally over a year ago).  A Working Group was established for the purpose of revising ISO 8601 to include extensions, one of which is ETDF.  The process has been successful, a DIS was balloted several months ago, it was approved although with numerous comments.  These comments need to be resolved and we are in the process of resolving them (and I see no obstacles that would prevent resolution).

Sadly, the Chair of the WG abruptly resigned a few months ago because of a personal emergency, and this has slowed the process a bit.  I have been asked to take over Chairmanship and we are in the process of negotiation on that; in any case I am determine to see this process through to completion, which I estimate may be another six months.

Note that in the process of developing the draft there were a few changes to EDTF, mainly, some of  the characters have changed.  I summarized these changes in a note about a year ago.  The draft is currently ISO confidential I am trying to gain permission to put it up so that at least this group can see it.  Hopefully I'll be able to do that soon.

Ray