ARSCLIST  August 2017

ARSCLIST August 2017

FW: [ARSCLIST] classical music LPs to CDs

Nick Morgan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 10 Aug 2017 14:41:58 +0100

Living in the UK, we don't see as many MHS LPs (or CDs) as you, but I have
seen many of the European discs they originated from, and I've never seen
any name changes beyond those deemed necessary to make maybe unfamiliar
European ensemble names more transparent to US buyers.

I'm no expert on the history of MHS - I wish I was - but I don't believe
they would have needed to use pseudonyms, as they didn't (to my knowledge)
issue European radio tapes which might have fallen off the back of a lorry,
but licensed commercial European originations on a totally legit (and always
acknowledged) basis. I'd welcome any correction.

I believe MHS also originated material itself, or at least co-produced. One
example is the Bach Cello Suites recorded by Nikolaus Harnoncourt; another
is his Marin Marais LP. Both were licensed by Harmonia Mundi France, and are
often assumed to be HM originations - but I don't think that's right. Seems
odd, I know, that MHS should have a hand in these but in fact it had issued
some of his earlier recordings made in Europe by Metronome and Amadeo. I'd
love to know more but I fear that MHS's paper archive, if there was one, may
already have bitten the dust.

In fact, I'd love it if ARSC could look into the feasibility of a register
of record company archives, not to mention master tapes - which would also
include a register of known losses and destructions. But I realise that's a
very big, erm... ask.

Nick